RE: Data on circulation of books

Joe, In an attempt to help you answer your last question on mass
digitization:

We've been loading all our books into Google Books since Oct
2005. They appear on Google roughly 10 weeks post-publication (it
takes Google this long to process them) and we've got around 300
books loaded now. According to the metrics reported by Google,
we're getting some 200,000 page views a month and this figure is
steadily increasing. Visitors are offered links to various online
bookshops, one of which is our own. There has been no measurable
change in the number of books sold via the various online
bookshops listed, nor via our own. If the extra exposure drove
demand for printed copies in libraries, one might expect print
sales to libraries to increase over time (since they don't buy
all our books as soon as they're published!). This doesn't seem
to be happening: our printed book sales (via online or offline
channels) are gently declining - like-for-like down by around 2%
in 2006 in line with our trend since 2000.

I have to put this observation into context. All our books are
also available via our e-library, SourceOECD. This is available
to users via around 800 institutional libraries, the majority
universities. Of these libraries, around 25% also buy printed
copies of all our books. Access is on an all-you-can-eat basis,
so there is no limitation on access or downloading. Like-for-like
downloads grew by 42% last year (cf 38% growth in 2004 and 20% in
2005), so growth was much faster last year than the previous two
years. What was driving this extra demand?

I think there are three factors behind this jump in downloads: 1.
the market as a whole for e-books seemed to 'gel' in 2006 with
users accepting them more and librarians being more skilled at
offering them via OPACs 2. Extra online exposure via systems like
Google Books 3. Our new offline promotion efforts (we send
targeted users at subscribing institutions a magazine that, among
other things, lists all recent books with links to them in
SourceOECD).

Of course, this doesn't answer your question directly, since you
are wondering if this exposure might drive demand for the print
copies on library shelves. I have no data on this. But the
observations above would suggest that digitization is increasing
use of scholarly books quite significantly, but not driving use
of print editions if access to an e-book is easily available.

I hope this is helpful.

Toby Green
Head of Dissemination and Marketing
OECD Publishing
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
http://www.oecd.org/Bookshop
http://www.SourceOECD.org  - our award-winning e-library
http://www.oecd.org/OECDdirect  - our new title alerting service