Re: Information Access Alliance Urges DOJ & FTC to Explore Remedies for Journal Bundling: Comments Available on Web

There are a lot of assertions here. Until an Open Access advocate (believer) can explain to me how a system of author (or proxy) payment can be made efficient or fair and not prevent some authors from publishing, I remain to be convinced. And, as we see from their behaviour (never mind surveys) this is the view of most of the academic community

Anthony

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Goodman" <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: Information Access Alliance Urges DOJ & FTC to Explore Remedies
for Journal Bundling: Comments Available on Web

I am sure Anthony meant to praise me, but I only support the continuation of those elements that will prove to have cost-effective functionality, and it will be up to them to demonstrate it.

I reject altogether the continuation of the present system of access, which is a system of subscription based access. I do not see how it can possibly be made either efficient or fair, or how it can provide the needed access to all users. No amount of extra funding of libraries will change this, nor any adjustments of big deals. It was necessary for technical reasons to compromise it in the print days, but it is not necessary now.

Big deals were originally instituted to increase consistency of revenue for the publishers in exchange for offering libraries access to more subscription titles. Both reasons are now obsolete. There is now no reason to have subscription titles at all, and no reason to reward publishers for providing them. Library money could be more usefully spent in subsidizing open access publishing, but the effect of long-term contracts is to reduce the amount of money available for this.

For now, the use for any funding that may be available is to develop OA--the most critical immediate goal for the scientific information system. The money spent for efficiently managing access would be better spent in eliminating the need to manage access.

It is time we stopped figuring out how to prop up the old subscription-based system, or how to optimize it. It is not worth optimizing. It will be easier as well as more satisfactory to replace it, and we acquired the knowledge to do so. The next step is to find temporary funding for the transition, and here the question of continuing big deals is indeed relevant. They provided stability for the highest priced publishers while they existed. They will make large amounts of temporary funding for other things when they end. The place to get the money is where the money is.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu