Data on circulation of books

Perhaps the members of this mailgroup can help me with some questions about the circulation of books in academic libraries.

A distinguished academic librarian told me that "most books never circulate." Allowing for rhetorical exuberance, I was wondering what the facts are behind "most" and "never." Is it that "many books circulate only rarely," or "some books never circulate, but a larger group circulates only rarely," or "almost all books circulate, but a sizable portion circulates rarely,"--or some other qualified formulation?

The questions that come to mind are these, defining "books" in the ordinary sense (e.g., no other media types and hardcopy only; and not including books that are not designed to circulate such as reference books):

*What percentage of books never circulate at all? Does this percentage vary by the size of a library?

*What percentage circulate rarely (assuming that there is a library convention for what "rarely" means in this context)? This would be the so-called Long Tail of a collection.

*Are even those books that never or rarely circulate findable in an electronic card catalogue, which is searchable by various means, or is the lack of circulation a function of inadequate "finding" tools?

*If the full text instead of just metadata of rarely circulating books were exposed to search engines of various sorts, what is the expectation for the increase in circulation? In this context presumably online viewing would count as a form of circulation.

What's driving these questions is what the practical effect of mass digitization will have on materials use. My hypothesis is that for books there will be a discernible but modest increase in use. Any information that could help me prove or disprove this hypothesis would be welcome.

Joe Esposito