Re: Funding OA (Long-Term)

I agree with the implication of Joe's question. Massive efficiencies in the production and distribution of research literature will lead to more *driving* not less (and for sure there will be many more international *calls* as the cost of them drops to zero). More research publications will be produced and the extent to which they are used will be increased. Much more production and much more automated and frequent access (searching and snippeting not necessarily end-to-end reading), and I doubt that the overall investment in libraries (or their equivalent) will be reduced.

This is an over-simplification, but a valid generalisation:

the scientific and scholarly research market is by and large driven
by Producers.

As the scope and activity in research grows the publication volume grows. This is where the pressure is coming from -- it is all those new disciplines, all those Chinese and Indian universities and PhDs, whose research is going to strain and expand the system in the next three decades. The need for Open Access is coming from the requirements of an efficient and fast market for scientific progress and the global dissemination of ideas and scholarship. So any efficiencies in the production chain are likely to be absorbed in the production of more published research.

There are parts of the STM market which are much more Consumer-driven than Producer-driven. One can suppose that there will be (are already) efficient models for OA publication of high quality reference and teaching materials in these high-end fields, but there will be still plenty of opportunity for Priced products and services; a Consumer demand for added value publications and services for which there will be winner-takes-all type rewards. That is where commercially-minded publishers and authors are going to invest their efforts. This is where any 'slack' in the Yale or Bangalore library budgets will go. I make this point because I speak as an erstwhile publisher who thinks that OA for primary research is going to be good for publishers. Moreover, to take Joe Esposito's analogy, I am not arguing for cars being driven off the road, just for getting rid of the gas guzzlers and the pointless journeys and for doing as much of it as possible with the lowest possible impact.

Adam