Re: Wikipedia?

Why should we care?  The fundamental issue is that people seem to
confuse Wikipedia with a real reference source.  It's not (and never
has been) in my view a serious professional reference tool. It's the
online version of a large white wall in the South Bronx with a bin of
magic markers and spray paint next to it.

Its main value is that it shows the real weakness of the web
which is the ability of anyone anywhere to put up any information
they want and have it accepted as truth by the readers -- simply
with a shell on top that gives it the appearance of organization.

If someone would buy Wikipedia, limit the editing ability to a
paid staff who knew what they were doing, they might (and I
stress might) be able to make a going commercial proposition of
it. An online encyclopedia that is constantly updated is a good
idea.  Wikipedia just is using the wrong business model.

Karl Bridges
Associate Professor
Information and Instruction Services
Bailey Howe Library