Models for open access

For publishers and libraries ready to transition to open access, there are many options for support, both technical and consulting.

One such option is the non-profit Scholarly Exchange, which provides a range of high-quality services (from software hosting to publishing consulting services) at low price, depending on the needs and desires of the journal. Scholarly Exchange uses the free, open source Open Journal Systems, so there is no software cost.

One of the success stories listed on their website is Contemporary Management Research, sponsored by The Academy of Taiwan Information Systems Research.

Using free software and efficient, low-cost services makes it much more feasible for an association to start and run a high-quality journal than you might think. In another Scholarly Exchange success story, Dr. Kleinman of Advances in Disease Surveillance says that Open Journal Systems is so easy to use, they were up and running within a matter of days.

More information about Scholarly Exchange can be found at: http://www.scholarlyexchange.org/index.html

Please note that I have no affiliation with Scholarly Exchange, although SFU Library (where I work) is a partner in the Public Knowledge Project, which produces the free, open source Open Journal Systems.

Heather Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com