Models for long term funding of OA

The general relevance of proposals such as this is as a warning
to all parties:

If agreement cannot be reached on OA provided in a stable manner
by one of the conventional variants, such as "Gold" OA Journals,
with sufficient subsidies to accommodate authors without funds to
pay for publication, or a system of "Green" Self-archiving with a
guarantee of support for the essential functions of journal
publication, there are two recourses available:

1/ publishing small journals, and dividing the publication
activities of large journals if necessary to publish the material
in sections that universities, university libraries, and
university departments can manage

as well as the previously well understood

2/ Publication in the form of archives only, with possible
peer-reviewing overlays for those disciplines that consider them
essential.

The technical feasibility of both has been thoroughly
demonstrated by arXiv, and by the thousands of small journals in
DOAJ.  The organization necessary for the establishment of peer
reviewed overlays for the entire body of literature, or for the
coordination of multiple small journals, has not yet been
developed. But both of them are much simpler than the existing
system. If we have been able to keep a complicated and 'expensive
system in operation in spite of all of its faults and inequities,
we can certainly arrange a simpler and cheaper system, with all
the benefits of ease of use by authors, easier operation for
libraries, and open availability to users.

Who are the people I subsume as "we"?-- the librarians who
understand how to manage complex systems tuned for reader
benefit, the information scientists who develop systems relying
less upon manual operations, the scientists who know the
publication needs of their subjects, and those people in
publishing prepared to work in a different manner--and those
innovative publishing organizations able to operate in a system
of which they will not be the center, and where their
participation will be conditional upon the usefulness and
affordability of their work, not on their previously-assummed
necessity.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu