Administrivia; strange messages; subscribing & unsubscribing

Dear liblicense-l readers. A number of you have written to me (thank you!) to let me know that a confusing message or a virus or both (or none) of the above was sent to the list this afternoon.

Sincerest apologies to all. In reviewing messages from the moderator's outgoing mailbox, we simply can't tell what happened. We did receive, earlier today, several particularly oddly formatted messages from an individual who scolded me/us for subscribing him/her to a list that was not all about Jesus. Since we don't subscribe anyone -- readers subscribe themselves -- this was puzzling. I deleted him/her from the subscriber list and received confirmation from the software that the deletion was successfully accomplished. And that should have been that.

As you saw, however, part of this oddity also found its way onto the liblicense-l list, which led a number of subscribers to ask if the list was having problems, if they were inadvertently unsubscribed, and various other questions.

We're certain this was a one-time occurrence. All of you who are subscribed, remain so. For those who would like to either subscribe, unsubscribe, or change e-mail address (which one does by unsubbing from the old one and resubbing from the new one), please see the easy directions below.

Virus: a couple of people mentioned that they believed we had inadvertently sent a virus message through to the list. One of them sent me the headers of said message. Please know that this message did NOT originate with liblicense-l, with Yale's listproc software, nor me. As we by know all know, the Bad People have their fiendish ways: on their best days, they are even able to send a spam or virus message as if it's coming from you or your best friend. We must all continue to be vigilant against such anti-social behavior.... there aren't any magic pills.

Thank you as always for your patience, contributions, and readership of this list.

Ann Okerson/Moderator

****

In order to subscribe or UNsubscribe correctly, go to the LIBLICENSE web site:

www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/index.shtml

Look for the bar along the top for the liblicense list and click on it. There you will find a quick -- and correct! -- way to subscribe or UNsubscribe.

****