Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

Peter Banks wrote:

"as Heather Morrison claims, that a journal can be run on about $500..."

This is the approximate annual cost for journal hosting and software support services by SFU Library, for a publisher with more than 10 journals. The price list can be downloaded from: http://software.lib.sfu.ca/support.html

Look under OJS. The cost for more than 10 journals is $600 per journal (Canadian), which is about $500 U.S.

Please note that OJS (Open Journal Systems) itself is open source, and absolutely free for anyone, anywhere to download. The price for hosting and support is available for those who choose this option.

There is more to running a journal than hosting and software support, of course.

Nevertheless, I hope that sharing this information helps to illustrate that it is possible to publish scholarly journals without expending an enormous sum of money.

Disclosure: I work for SFU Library (for a different organization, which derives no benefit from the success of OJS).

Heather G. Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com