RE: University of California Libraries Announce Pursuit of Value-based Journal Prices

Ann, You asked:

>how would such "value-based pricing" work for smaller journals
>and particularly journals in the non-sciences, such as many
>social sciences, humanities, area studies, and the like? Or is
>the aim of the document to assist in negotiations with the
>larger STM package suppliers?

In principle our aims are the same for all publishers:  identify
value metrics that can help us to evaluate the prices we pay for
scholarly journals, and do this in a way that a) is objective and
quantifiable, b) is based on both cost and value (given as well
as received), and c) that can lead to more sustainable prices
overall.

To the extent that the Bergstrom-McAfee value indices that we
used to test our ideas explicitly benchmark commercial publishers
against non-profits in the same discipline, the methodology
itself assumes (and appears to validate) that non-profits in
general represent a better balancing of pricing and value that
can be used as a yardstick against which to measure other
publishers. We realize that this is just the beginning of a
process; value metrics that rely on ISI citation data clearly
won't help us with journals that aren't indexed by ISI, for
example. But institutional contributions in the form of
authorship and editorship can be identified for any journal, and
cost-based price caps such as PPI are universally applicable as
well.  As we tried to suggest in the framing of our paper, we
would like to engage the fuller community in identifying and
applying appropriate value-based quantitative measures to the
dilemma of journal pricing and price increases across the board.
As one colleague has put it, our paper is an invitation to the
academic community to pursue and strengthen the tie between
value, quality, and price for scholarly materials.

We have performed analyses on a range of publishers, including
university presses as well as large commercial publishers, and
publishers with varying concentrations of STM titles. From a
practical perspective, there may be an incentive to concentrate
on applying these analyses to larger packages where we can gain
the most 'bang for the buck' if value and price are not well
aligned. But we see that as more of a practical matter than a
matter of principle or intellectual approach.  Whether the
approach itself (as it evolves) proves useful for a full range of
publishers in all disciplines large and small is something we
hope to learn as we go forward.

Others among my fellow UC authors may wish to comment here as
well.

- Ivy