Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

Having been a medical publisher, I know where the money comes
from--in part from subscriptions paid for by libraries and other
government institutions, and in larger part from other
parties--advertisers, individual subscribers, society members,
corporate purchasers of reprints, foreign translations, etc. (I
don't think that the Easter Bunny contributes--at least he never
wrote us a check.) Yes, some taxpayer money flows to
subscriptions--but the percentage varies widely and is in fact
smallest for the journals most relevant to patients.

One of the big problems with your argument over the years is that
you look at basic science journals for which a large part of
funding does come from government, and assume that the same is
true of large medical journals, especially those published by
nonprofit societies, which have a far more diversified base of
revenue. The contention that the public has already paid to read
the final manuscripts that appear in, say, the New England
Journal, or Circulation, or Diabetes Care, is largely false.

Your argument would have more force if PLoS had successfully
invented a business model in which taxpayer dollars support open
access. However, PLoS's IRS 990 reveals that it remains
overwhelmingly dependent on on foundation support. If a model of
taxpayer supported open access is viable, it hasn't been invented
yet.

That's not to say it can't be. If, as David Goodman argues, peer
review and copyediting really can be done on a volunteer basis,
or, as Heather Morrison claims, that a journal can be run on
about $500, then by golly let's do it. Let's have our top medical
editors in major universities divert their time from research and
patient care and instead spend their time copyediting and
maintaining online peer review systems. Sure sounds like a plan
to me.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services