Re: Stop fighting the inevitable - and free funds for openaccess!

     OA IS NOT ABOUT FREEING FUNDS (FOR OA PUBLISHING)
     IT IS ABOUT FREEING RESEARCH FINDINGS, FOR RESEARCHERS

Some well-meaning OA advocates are again promulgating nonsense,
as usual. What is inevitable (and optimal) is freeing research,
not funds!

OA is not about funding OA (Gold) publishing (nor about
publishing itself, particularly).

It is about researchers providing online access to their
peer-reviewed findings for those researchers webwide who cannot
afford paid access.

OA can and will be provided by researcher self-archiving (Green),
mandated by the research community, by and for itself. The
outcome will (easily and naturally) be adapted to by publishing,
if need be. The rest is all idle, pre-emptive speculation, aired
ad nauseam for years now, with no new arguments or evidence.

The publishing community has next to nothing to do with the
immediate reachability of OA by and for the research community
(although publishers' blessing -- by going Green -- is of course
always welcome: all APS journals are Green; possibly all AIP
journals?); and of course the increasingly desperate (and
disreputable) lobbying by some publishers against Green OA
mandates will not only fail, but will leave their proponents with
egg on their face (openly) as in the current, silly, "Pit-Bull"
furor...

Stevan Harnad