Re: Decision making by Libraries on serials and monographs and useage (re puzzled by self-archiving thread)

Dear Sally, et al.

In our recent report to the Australian Department of Education,
Science and Training we attempted to explore the costs of
scholarly communication in Higher Education in Australia at the
system level (in the manner of the pioneering work of Don King
and Carol Tenopir), and then explore the possible impacts of
enhanced access to research findings - of any sort (e.g.
publications, data, etc.) and by any mechanism (e.g. lower
prices, open access, etc.). For the former we developed a cost
model from an extensive review of the literature and some local
consultation, and for the latter we tried to develop the standard
neoclassical growth model, by introducing 'access' and
'efficiency' as negative variables, as a way to explore the
impacts of increasing access and efficiency on returns to
expenditure on R&D.

It's preliminary work, but one has to start somewhere.

The assumptions are discussed at length in the report:

the cost calculations and all assumptions are discussed on pp
11-29, and are based on the literature review that appears as
Appendix I on pp 61-89; and the impact model and calculations are
discussed on pp 31-47, and are based on the literature review
that appears as Appendix II on pp 90-107. I'm afraid we could not
make it shorter than that... not least because the issues are not
simple.

In recognition of the importance and complexity of the issues, a
number of us got together in New York last March to try to scope
a research agenda that might progress the debate As a part of
this work, we are hoping to improve on our first attempts (e.g.
by tying our access and efficiency variables to measured impacts,
such as relative citation rates), as well as exploring various
other ways of "calculating" the potential impacts of enhanced
access to research findings.

If anyone is interested in this work, please feel free to join
in... and/or send a donation to the address below ;-)

Regards
John Houghton
Centre for Strategic Economic Studies (CSES)
Victoria University, Melbourne AUSTRALIA
E-mail: John.Houghton@vu.edu.au

Sally Morris (Morris Associates) wrote:

I'm afraid I am puzzled by some of the basic assumptions in
John's work on calculating the 'upside' of OA. Could he please
explain them in words of one syllable?

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)