Re: university press rights assignment

It's nice that they ask, but I can't see that you're obligated to
go along.  You might note that there is no suggestion of any
additional fees or royalties.  Before you agree to this let me
ask you -- would you have written the book originally for free?

Bottom line, the publisher signed a contract with you and that
existing contract is binding.  It's unfortunate, for them, that
they didn't anticipate electronic publishing, but that's hardly
your problem.  Professional writers get paid. End of story.

Karl Bridges
Associate Professor
Information and Instruction Services
Bailey Howe Library