and, in my university upper division undergraduates. Citations in
theses too, both graduate and undergraduate. Used with care,
because a journal may very intensively for an undergraduate
thesis, and then never again.

2. Purchase requests, especially from the faculty, but from any
regular users. Used with care, because purchase is not always the
best way.

3. Document Delivery requests. This needs care: same reason as
#1--people may use one journal very intensively for a thesis or
paper, and then never again.

4. Expected price increases, judged by the practice of the
publisher. (looking at both dollars and percentage).

4A. "Big deals;"  even with interchangeability of titles, a large
library may already subscribe to everything of conceivable
interst from some publishers.

5. Permanence of access-- A. In the short run, this applies to
material available only on the basis of a big deal, or through an
aggregator. B. Archival responsibilities. (That is, true archival
responsibilities--a library without a comprehensive collection in
a subject is not ready to assume them, and normally as a first
priority should expand the collection.)

6. Alternative routes: A. Availability of electronic copy for
immediate purchase B. Expected rapid availability from document
delivery C. Various consortial arrangements. D. Open Access: Here
is where open access comes in, or to be exact will come in,
because the concentration of such availability in other than OA
journals is not yet sufficient to make the difference, especially
considering finadability. But this should increase rapidly in
biomedicine, with the growth of PMC and the linking to OA copies
in PubMed. (And, as we all know, there are other excellent ways
to get Open Access copies; details are for another day.)

And there are of course subsidiary factors, such as the variable
likelihood of budget changes and the expected development of
academic programs. (These, and the other factors can of course
also be explained in detail)

But all the above are only modifying factors; while I have used
them on occasion, almost always the question came down to the
money and the use.

>From the reputation of your library, and Rick's, I am certain you
take account of all this. Even though most of the librarians on
ths list do not need reminding either, librarians in general have
not done enough public explanation, so users--even publishers and
information scientists--may not be aware of all the
possibilities.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu