RE: puzzled by self-archiving thread

There are a lot of ways of measuring use in libraries other than
circulation.  For print journals, one popular measure is the
reshelving rate.  If something is never taken off the shelf, we
wonder why it's there.  Of course all journals are not judged
equally: a journal that has thousands of pages a year and a high
cost that's little used might be judged more harshly than a low
cost small footprint journal with the same amount of use. And of
course there are journal citation reports, faculty requests,
whether our institution is strong in a given area, etc.  All of
these come into play at my library when we decide to cancel a
journal.

Jim Morgan