RE: puzzled by self-archiving thread -- subscription cancellation comment

Libraries have been struggling with this problem since the
beginning of e-journals.

In the portions of library systems where librarians are
specificaly assigned as selectors for a manageble part of the
collection, they are expected to see the incoming journals, and
watch for availability notices, and also be aware through
professional lists, conventions, and other means. (This had
developed long before e- journals, because many publishers
announced the availability of supplements and indexes only
through a slip inserted in a journal issue--or even merely
enclosed in the same envelope.)

Even the best selector cannot fully be aware of this in some of
the larger fields, and relies on professional activities and
faculty awareness.  Any library not able to have sufficient
professional staff to actually know the collection will
necessarily depend on the faculty and other users.  In the case
of large publishers, the problem is indeed a little less because
there are a few large obvious lists to check.

Libraries are also concerned with the problems of continuing
access. Part of the problem arises because neither the receipt
process for print issues, not the renewal process for
subscriptions, takes account of online availability. (The only
control anywhere in either process is that renewal usually does
check that the print issues are actually arising).

There is furthermore no built-in check that a journal once
activated continues to be accessible, except for user complaints,
which are relatively uncommon except fo the most important
journals. There is now an external check, from publisher-supplied
statistics, assuming the library does check on titles with zero
unrecorded use.  A library I know once forgot to activate a
$15,000/year index, and only found out by this means.

The other half is the difficulty initially experienced in getting
the publisher side to work. One publisher once simply turned
everything off on Jan. 1, and then had a staff member start
adding them back one at a time. This has become much better now,
and the people at both ends know how to follow it up.

All of this will be one among the many advantages of open access.
The entire serials control system in libraries, and the
authorization system at publishers, will then be obsolete. It
won't be among the major savings, but it should help at both
ends.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
dgoodman@princeton.edu