Re: Journal publishing and author self-archiving: Peaceful Co-Existence and Fruitful Collaboration

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't share your "serene confidence that there are
> plenty of available OA hosts, big and small, ready to take on
> the implementation of peer review for migrating established
> journal titles and ed-boards, scaled down to OA publishing."

That's fine. It's all speculation anyway, on both of our sides:
speculation that self-archiving will or won't lead to
cancellations, and if so, speculation about when, and how much;
and speculation that, if much and sudden, current publishers will
or won't jettison their titles rather than downsize; and
speculation that, if jettisoned, there will or won't be OA
publishers happy to take over the titles.

What's sure, because already tested and demonstrated, is that
self-archiving is highly beneficial to research and readily
feasible, right now, through mandated self-archiving. Hence
self-archiving can and should and will be mandated at this time.
The data-free speculation and counterspeculation about its
possible eventual effects on publishing has been going on for
over 10 years now, so the data-based practical step is already
well overdue.

One point, though, is a point of logic rather than of
hypothetical conjecture: In your reasoning about your
hypothetical scenario that you consider the most probable one
(catastrophic cancellations, abandonment of journals by their
non-OA publishers, and failure of the abandoned journals to
migrate to OA publishers because OA costs could not be met and
there were not enough would-be OA publishers able or willing to
meet the demand) you have inadvertently conflated two very
different factors: One is the current cost to universities of
hosting their journals' editors' offices, and the other is the OA
publication cost to universities for their own research article
output.

These are two entirely different things. Journal hosting costs
have nothing to do with OA, or OA publishing. Whatever journal
hosting universities are doing today, in the non-OA era, for
non-OA journals, while paying journal subscriptions for whatever
journals they subscribe to, the only change in the OA era, if
subscriptions were indeed all cancelled suddenly, as you
hypothesize, would be (1) sudden, substantial windfall savings
for universities, and (2) sudden, substantially lower publishing
costs for journals (because, ex hypothesi, they no longer sell
texts, paper or online, but only perform peer review).

Those lower publishing costs would (again, ex hypothesi) be paid
in the form of OA publishing charges, for each university's
article output, out of each university's subscription savings.
This has nothing at all to do with a university's journal hosting
costs!

(Perhaps what you were doing was conflating the university as a
journal subscriber, the university as a research article-provider
[with its associated OA publishing costs] and the university as a
potential OA publisher itself!  None of this, except possibly the
last, has anything to do with the free resources many
universities currently provide for hosting the journals -- OA or
[mostly] non-OA -- of publishers other than themselves!)

> Partly I don't [share your confidence in successful migration
> if mandated self-archiving were to induce sudden cancellation]
> because I think, to work most efficiently, there needs to be
> more structure to the system than self-archiving or IRs
> themselves can provide, even with pretty good federated
> searching.

There is more structure. Indeed the *only* requisite structure:
each of those hypothetically migrating journal titles has an
established editorial board, referees, authors and readers; they
all migrate with the title. So does the implementation of peer
review, which is the same for all journals: only the contents and
the peer-review quality standards differ. All that structure
remains with the migrating title.

Search and federation have nothing to do with it (and will be
incomparably more powerful in the OA era).

> The editors of single journals would need to find a way to join
> together with editors of other journals in their disciplines,
> or related disciplines, so as to form a group of journals that
> could serve a whole discipline, or special area of interest,
> well.

I think these are hypotheses again, and actually I disagree: a
field is best served by mostly independent journals: No need to
amalgamate except when it helps increase efficiency and cut
costs. (And cost-saving amalgamation has nothign to do with
federated search!)

> That is typically what scholarly societies have done, and maybe
> some of them could take over the journals abandoned by large
> STM publishers-if they don't continue to feel just as
> threatened by OA as the commercial publishers do!

What OA publishers would take on after the hypothetical collapse
of user-institution subscriptions as the means of covering costs
is the OA publishing cost-recovery model: author-institution
publication charges.

There would be more than enough to cover these much-reduced costs
for peer-review service-provision only, out of the (hypothesised)
windfall institutional subscription savings.

> An ideal structure would be something like what CIAO and
> AnthroSource represent, respectively, for International
> Relations and Anthropology in the social sciences, which
> encompass not only journals but also monographs, working
> papers, conference proceedings, and grey literature. As
> director of a press that worked with our library and SPARC to
> help set up such a structure for another social science
> discipline, rural sociology, I can tell you that this is no
> trivial or inexpensive task!

And most of it not necessary for hypothetically migrating
journal-titles only. The author-institution publication charges
will cover the much-reduced costs. (You are here combining
journal-specific OA and OA self-archiving matters with completely
independent non-OA matters.)

> Sudden change is very difficult to plan for, and my worry is
> that if such a scenario were to happen, no really adequate
> structures would be in place save for a few like the ones I've
> mentioned to provide for an organized environment of knowledge.

But we are not talking about actual sudden change, but about
hypothetical sudden change, compounded by hypothetical
unwillingness of OA publishers to take over migrating titles.
None of those contingencies are based on any evidence at all:
just speculation.

Sandy, what I think research needs now is actual OA, through the
self-archiving mandates that have already been demonstrated to
generate OA and its benefits to research. Hypothesizing and
counter-hypothesizing alas does not solve research's immediate
access and impact problem.

I actually emerged (temporarily) from a long-standing,
self-imposed moratorium on speculation about hypothetical
after-effects of self-archiving, in honor of your accession to
the AAUP presidency, Sandy! All of these conjectures and
counter-conjectures have been made before, many, many, many times
across the long years. I deliberately stopped engaging in these
speculations because I noticed that they were slowing the
progress of OA: people were speculating instead of
self-archiving.

Now that we have, I think, aired our respective conjectures, I
think we can agree that there is no way to know which ones are
correct, and that all we can do, and advocate, is what we think
is most probable and useful, on the evidence available.

> Possibly, yes, some individual editors would immediately try to
> keep their journals going by setting up their own
> self-publishing OA operations.

No, I don't mean editors, self-publishing (though that is a
possibility). Editors usually prefer to just edit -- i.e., select
referees, adjudicate referee reports, decide what revisions need
to be done, and when they have been successfully done, and to
accept or reject articles accordingly. They don't want to handle
the administrative part -- contacting authors and referees,
reminding, tracking deadlines, etc. The publisher needs to
arrange for that, and, as you mention, there can sometimes be
economies of scale from doing this for multiple journals at once.

> But who would pay for the editorial support services that the
> major STM publishers now provide?

The author-institution OA publishing charges, paid for their own
article output, (out of their own user-institution subscription
savings).

> Departmental budgets can be stretched only so far, and these
> might be tapped already for supporting their own authors
> publishing in other OA journals.

Sandy, I am afraid you seem to be double-counting here...

> (This is part of the "free rider" problem that university
> presses have long suffered from, because they do not publish
> for their own university faculty primarily but provide a
> service to the system as a whole. Universities like to fund
> their own faculty first, their presses second, and the same
> would likely be true for editorial offices of journals.)

We are not talking here, particularly, about university
publishing. We are talking about journal publishing, university
article output, and how to cover the costs of publication in the
OA era if/when there is a sudden collapse of subscriptions, and a
migration of suddenly abandoned journal titles.

An OA journal "virtual" editorial office that only provides peer
review, does not generate text, either hard copy or digital, does
not store, does not provide access, etc. is a much lighter
proposition than the traditional journal office...

> Academic editors would need to spend more of their time doing
> the kind of work that professional publishing staff now do, at
> a cost to the university that would overall be greater (because
> faculty are paid, generally, better than professional
> publishing staff).

Not at all. That is what the OA publishing charges would be
paying for (the administration of peer review); and in the
virtual world, there is no reason those administrative functions
should be performed at the editor's university unless so desired.
An OA publisher could do it centrally for multiple journals, as
BMC, Hindawi and PLoS do (except scaled down a good deal more, to
peer-review alone).

> Universities would do well to start creating these structures
> now, but I don't see that as likely to happen because most
> administrators, I suspect, share your view of gradual change
> and will think there is plenty of time to prepare.

It's not universities that need to scope this out in advance, but
publishers (current ones and OA publishers). (You are conflating
the role of the university as a journal subscriber, as a research
article provider and peer-review service consumer, and as a
potential OA publisher!)

> Sure, library funds once used for purchasing STM journals could
> be diverted, but this is not so straightforward a process as
> you seem to assume, as many libraries now share the burden of
> subscription payments whereas I suspect that the distribution
> of editorial offices will be more highly concentrated in the
> most-research intensive universities where the leading scholars
> reside-and I can't see Ball State contributing its savings from
> library subscriptions to supporting Yale faculty's editorial
> offices!

Sandy, you have the Escher drawing misperceived! The redirection
of an institution's windfall subscription savings (on the
hypothesis of catastrophic cancellations) is toward paying the
publication charges for that same institution's outgoing research
article output (for peer review and certification). It is not
redirected in order to subsidise OA journals hosted by that
university. OA journal costs are to be covered out of the
publication charges, relying no more (nor less) on university
charity (hosting) than before.

You are assuming that the OA publisher to which titles --
hypothetically released by their prior non-OA publishers because
of hypothetical catastrophic cancellations and unwillingness to
downsize to a more modest OA niche -- will migrate will be
universities:

Why? OA publishers will be publishers; some of them may be
university publishers, but that is a different operation (and
budget) from a university qua university. And others will be
learned societies, others will be commercial, and still others
will be independent non-profits. Nothing to do with redirecting
university budgets or even university windfall cancellation
savings.

> We at Penn State are doing our small bit by serving as a test
> site for the DPubs "open source" software that is designed to
> provide a platform for managing the editorial and production
> processes not only for journals but also for conference
> proceedings and, ultimately, edited volumes and monographs in
> electronic form. But there should be many other efforts like
> this going on if we are to avoid a very messy transition period
> if my hypothesised scenario of sudden change comes true.

There are; and there will be, if need be.

Best wishes,  Stevan