RE: puzzled by self-archiving thread -- subscription cancellation comment

I do not feel qualified to comment on the impact of
self-archiving on subscriptions, but, as a small independent
publisher with a growing journals program, I would like to
comment on the cancellation of journals due to non-use.

We discovered some time back that a significant percentage of our
institutional subscribers failed to activate their online access.
(In our case these subscribers were entitled to online along with
their print subscription.) The work involved at our end in
systematically keeping tabs on this is considerable. However,
given that non-activation results in non-use / high cost per use,
and therefore subscription cancellation, it clearly needs to be
high priority.

At a recent trade show I met with a large journals publisher who
said that they had experienced this too, so I don't see it as a
problem that is specific to small publishers. However, larger
publishers may have resources to police the process more
vigorously. Also, larger publishers may disseminate content
through a greater number of channels, which may help to elevate
usage statistics when activation failure does occur. It would be
a great shame if such failure was at the root of subscription
cancellation for smaller publishers. I don't know that this
happens -- but it sounds like a strong possibility.

I for one would very much welcome any advice or comments people
may have on this issue. I am new to this listserv and am finding
it very useful because I understand the process at our end (I
hope!) but confess to knowing little about the library end. I,
for one, would welcome any opportunity to partner with libraries,
as Ms. Landesman suggests, with the aim of reducing subscription
cancellations.

Kathryn Earle
Managing Director
Berg Publishers
www.bergpublishers.com
kearle@bergpublishers.com

NEW journal from Berg! See the first issue FREE online!
The Senses & Society
http://www.bergpublishers.com/us/senses/senses_about.htm