One more thought (RE: Consortia and consolidation (RE: Information Access Alliance ...)

> As a friend noted to me, a principal driver for these mergers
> is the need to get more influence with library consortia, whose
> fundamental structure favors the largest publishers.

My earlier comments about the general impact of consolidated
spending notwithstanding, I do wonder whether your friend is
correct about his assessment in this case.  While a general trend
towards consolidated spending will tend, I believe, towards a
general trend in consolidated selling (especially among jobbers
and middlemen, where margins are especially tight), I have to
wonder whether library behavior _in particular_ was really a
"principal driver" in the Blackwell/Wiley merger, or in any of
the other major publisher mergers we've seen recently.  Cause and
effect can be hard to tease out, of course, but I suspect there
may have been much more important factors at play here.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries