Re: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled Subscriptions

I reply to only one part of Joe's astute discussion. Quite apart
from OA, there is a role for self-archiving that is supplemental
rather than parasitic to formal publishing. For decades--for
centuries--academic publishing has been a slow an complicated
process. It always required supplementation with indexes, which
were additionally slow and additionally complicated.

There has always been a need for something more current. For all
these centuriesx, from the time of Galileo to the time of James
Watson, they were supplemented by the personal letter and the
personal visit. The extent of the effort in the 19th and early
20th century in travel tointernational congresses seems
fantastic-- until one realises that they represented the only
opportunity for interpersonal communication.

When publication required either a library or the personal
acquitance with the authors who sent preprints, the nature of
science communication remained static. There were no structural
arrangents for providing the necessary information except
membership in large and well-known laboratories, and the
institutional history of science in the middle of the 20th
century is essentially the rise of such strong laboratories and
departments.

The development of electronic journals gave the potential for
change: there may have been institutional reasons for slow
publication, but there were no longer technical ones. The
development of the web had the same effect on informal
discussion. But there was now a remedy for slow publication,
which was preprints: at first by xerography, but soon by web
sites.

No journal could work so fast--Nature, working at top speed with
the expectation of a priority battle, still took weeks to publish
the Watson and Crick papers.  With electronic publication, a
journal could work faster: some sort of accepted manuscript could
be published on the web the same day the peer-review was
complete. But the technology was equally available to an
individual author, and in most fields they knew how to operate
the technical components as well as the publishers. And so they
did--whether to a private distribution list, or publicly.

It was not long before some authors concluded that their
reputations were sufficient that they had no need of peer review.
This was seen in all fields, especially the ones that relied upon
mathematics and thus had composition and graphics systems
essentially the equal of the publishers.

This applied only the the most secure of authors, but lesser and
younger ones could imitate it, knowing they would eventually need
to supplement it by formal peer-reviewed publication. And this
was the change--no longer was the rapid publication of eprints
supplementary to the formal publication system, but the formal
system has now become the supplement to the individualistic
self-archiving. If one finds something in one's core area first
in a published paper, this implies that the author is either
secretive or old-fashioned--or else new to the system.

Therefore I obvious regard self-archiving as central--not as my
choice, not because I prefer it--but because major scientists do.
They will do it if the journal is subscription based, they will
do it even if the journal if open access. They still use the
secondary services, at least for SDI--but they will use the most
effective and easiest, and it already seems clear that they are
unlikely to ne the traditional ones.

This leaves publishers in a quandary, for they are now necessary
only for the support of peer review--they are no longer necessary
in any sense for distribution, and apparently scientists are
prepared to forgo the benefits of copyediting. Thus they rely on
the need to manage peer-review. Open access is compatible with
peer review, which can surely be organized more cheaply that
commercial publishers do. Thus they continue to proclaim the
importance of formal peer review--blithely ignoring that the
analysis of all published studies indicates that there is no
evidence supporting its effectiveness. (Jefferson, T. et al.
Effects of Editorial Peer Review a Systematic Review. JAMA, 2000
<http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/287/21/2784> ) (Not to
mention less formal evidence known to all newspaper readers since
then.)

No librarian can cancel journals like PNAS without faculty
consent. Perhaps we have now seen why the consent seems to be
easily obtainable.

The only remaining role of a publisher is to preside over a dying
system.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu