RE: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled

I note that since the free online content of NAR is in fact paid
for by the authors, any subscription revenue the publisher may
get is bonus, and essentially constitutes double payment.

I also notice OUP speaks about print subscriptions. But OUP
charges a combination price for print plus online that is only
about 10% higher than an online subscription alone. Of course
most libraries have continued the print as well.

For NAR, the print cost ($2855) needs to be compared with the
free to the user but author-paid online accessibility, and I find
it very surprising that as many as 75% of the subscribers were
willing to continue.

At present, an institutional membership in NAR costs $2700; print
plus membership would thus cost $5655, about double what print
plus online would have otherwise cost.

I am not the least concerned about the profitability of this
journal. The publisher seems to have covered all the
possibilities with great resourcefulness.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library