RE: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled

Subscriptions
Date: Fri,  1 Dec 2006 21:59:22 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Dear Sally,

For Oxford Journals, there is some indication that free online
availability of content may have a negative effect on subscriptions.
Print subscriptions for Nucleic Acids Research (NAR), which has been
fully Open Access since January 2005, declined by 25% in 2005. In 2004,
prior to the journal's move to full Open Access, the journal was free
online six months after publication. In that year, NAR experienced
institutional subscription attrition of approximately 12%, which was
much greater than for related Oxford journals where the content was free
after twelve months.

There may be multiple factors contributing to this attrition; print
subscriptions have been steadily declining across the industry in recent
years as online access has become more widespread. However, NAR is a
highly-ranked journal in terms of impact factor, with growing
submissions and a wide readership, and so it is not clear why else the
journal would be experiencing greater than average attrition of print
subscriptions if this is not due to its free online availability.

It would be interesting to compare these results with print attrition
rates for other journals with free online access. Because of our
experience with NAR, we have not undertaken further experimentation with
free online access periods of less than one year, though we do plan to
analyse attrition rates of optional Open Access journals, once there is
sufficient data to undertake this analysis.

Mithu Mukherjee
Communications Manager
Oxford Journals
mithu.mukherjee@oxfordjournals.org