Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:46 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled
Subscriptions

I'd say that publishers, given the chance, will work out what
delay is likely to be sufficient to protect their
subscriptions/licences from large-scale erosion.  A number of
different factors will be at work: the subject field (e.g. how
fast-moving is it?) and the frequency of the journal are both
likely to have a significant bearing on this.

Do journals see cancellations?  Well, when the British Medical
Journal made all its content (not just primary research articles)
freely available immediately, it lost subscriptions. When it
changed policy, and restricted access to everything except
primary research articles, it managed to stop and even (I think)
reverse the trend.  But the BMJ is not typical - its USP is its
non-research content...

I'd be very interested to hear any (albeit anecdotal) evidence
from publishers who have, or have not, seen a loss of
subscriptions when access was opened up at x months -
particularly those who might have changed the embargo period and
seen a difference.  I wonder whether OUP has any data?

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers South House,
The Street, Clapham
Email: sally.morris@alpsp.org