Re: 100% Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: a critique

Dear Joe and Peter and Jan,

The answer is simply that OA has not advanced far enough. No
research library would cancel a journal with five or ten or forty
percent OA. Essentially all the libraries than might do so, using
the limited OA as an additional reason to the history of price
increases, have already done so, and any additional ones are part
of the three to five percent of cancellations a year experienced
by most journals and most big deals.

The only field where OA had advanced beyond eighty percent-the
minimum point at which Ward's survey showed that librarians are
now planning to cancel--is high energy physics. This is sometimes
misrepresented as "physics." It isn't--it is specifically the
high energy experimental physics that is done at a half-dozen
specialized laboratories, supported by national and international
funding.  There are more departments with involved faculty than
there are laboratories, but they are still only a few hundred. A
field such as this is patently atypical, and yet it is being used
as representative in arguments from honourable men.

The major subject of immediate interest for the next month or so
is biomedicine, with its wide variation in funding and
publishing, but others will follow. I do not know what will be
the dynamics of increasing OA in those subjects, and neither does
anyone else.  First the OA initiatives need to be adopted or
enacted, and then they need to be successful. This could be one
year, or ten.  As there a number of possible outcomes, the final
arrangement could be one I like, but probably will not be--I
would be foolish to plan for it alone.

The optional OA journals ought to affect this, by facilitating
publication in accustomed journals, but here again that is only
one datum, the ten to twenty percent first year rate found by
OUP. The reality and significance of the lower subscription
prices promised by some optional OA publishers is hard to
predict, for there are no data so far.

The development of effective systems for identifying and reaching
OA versions affects all the plans. It obviously will not be as
simple as in high energy physics, where there is one place to
look. But there are many initiatives in progress, from commercial
& nonprofit indexing services of the most varied nature: from
Google and MSN and ISI and Elsevier, to RePEc and OACI and DOAJ.
Biomedicine and chemistry have benefited from the exhaustive
coverage of published material provided by the existing
commercial, non-profit, and governmental indexing, and a similar
standard will be expected of OA--an OA situation that for some
years will be both mixed and fragmentary.

I know the extremely high quality of many people involved in such
projects, and my main doubt is whether it will happen next year
or the following one, and who will get there first. It will be
much easier once 100% OA is achieved than in the intervening
years. Publishers who cannot compete with the developers
mentioned can still help, by including both the link to their
subscription version and the link to the OA version with their
bibliographic data. They could help even more by letting the
published version be used for OA--it would solve most of the
problems they have raised, and they know it.

If only technical problems were involved, we'd have had 100% OA
long ago, because even the cumbersome original Varmus plan had a
workable basic mechanism. The difficulty is with the
institutional factors, for there are many research institutions,
publishing scientists, funders, publishers, university libraries,
and readers. These must all change together, and they are most of
them inherently resistant to change. That the OA movement
persists shows the intensity of the demand.

David Goodman,
dgoodman@princeton.edu

The future of librarians will be discussed in the next installment.