Re: 100% Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: a critique

David,

It would be just as irresponsible for libraries not to plan for a
move to open access as it would for publishers not to do so.

The function of publishing is not merely putting ink on paper,
just as the core function of libraries is not putting journals on
shelves. In both cases, the real function is to connect users
with information that enables them to solve problems.

Anyone who thinks that having 100% OA via mandated deposit
accomplishes that by itself is living a fantasy. The resulting
collection of multiple versions of preprints, postprints,
published papers, and God knows what else will fulfill Sturgeon's
law that "90% of everything is crud." (Actually, Sturgeon
probably said 99%, and likely used a more colorful Anglo-Saxon
word than "crud," but listserves need to be a least PG-13)

If 100% occurred, the challenge to both publishers and libraries
will be to create powerful tools (far more powerful than Google
Scholar) to mine, filter, and aggregate information that is truly
useful for the user. Forget Web 2.0--we need Web 3.0 or 4.0.

That is where savvy publishers would begin to put their
energy--not in preparing to move to a user-pays business model
that would be a sure-bet failure for many of them.

Happy Thanksgiving, by the way!

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services