Re: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: a critique

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Simon Inger and Chris Beckett wrote:

> 1.	The methodology deployed and the entire point of conducting a
> conjoint survey at all:
>
> We decided to undertake a conjoint survey because we felt that
> other attitudinal surveys of what future intentions might be
> were highly prone to being bogged down exactly because
> surveyees were asked in absolute terms to what extent they
> would like one scenario, and then another, without ever asking
> them to choose between them.

Simon and Chris are, I think, quite right that there is
considerable danger of bias, in one direction or the other, when
acquisitions librarians are asked to speculate about what they
would do in hypothetical future scenarios.

But it is not at all clear that the method Simon and Chris used
corrects for these biases, or merely changes the subject (from
predicting cancellations under hypothetical conditions, to merely
expressing product/property preferences under hypothetical
conditions).

> A survey that asks people if they like steak to eat, and then
> asks if they like chicken to eat, is not as powerful as a
> survey that asks them to choose between steak and chicken.
> Bring in another variable, such as, "how well done do you like
> your meat?" and you get a very different answer depending on
> whether the surveyee preferred steak or chicken in the first
> place. By combining these factors with others through a
> conjoint survey, you might just find out how bad the steak has
> to be before chicken tartare starts to command a market share!
> We hope this illustrates the whole purpose of the conjoint in
> applying it to the situation that publishing currently faces;
> it forces people to reveal the true underlying factors in their
> decision-making in a way that hasn't been done before.

The conjoint method is no doubt a good method for estimating or
ranking relative product property preferences in general. But in
the particular case of library journal
acquisitions/cancellations, OA and self-archiving, as noted, the
method not only does not remedy the the possibility of bias, but
it bypasses the question of cancellations altogether -- the
question that I take it that (for lack of actual cancellation
data) the survey was trying to answer.

> 2. Whether or not OA can be considered a product in any meaningful sense:
>
> Can articles in Open Access repositories be considered a
> product and one that librarians may select instead of journals?
> Absolutely they can. Is the issue here that they are free via
> OA, or that they are not organised and packaged? If we were to
> stand on a street corner and give away mobile phones, they
> would be every bit as much as a product as one you paid for in
> a shop. Would we cause some people not to go into the shop and
> buy a mobile - sure we would. Would some people not trust the
> mobile we gave them and buy one anyway - yes they would. Would
> some people use our mobiles as a spare and buy another anyway -
> yes they would do that too. A survey might tell you in what
> proportions people would undertake these actions. But you can
> be certain that at least some of the people would use the
> mobile we gave them and postpone or cancel the acquisition of a
> paid-for phone. So we believe that articles via OA, even though
> they are free, are still very much a product. So perhaps they
> should not be considered as a product because they are not
> organised into product-shaped offerings, like journals are.

I'm afraid I cannot agree with this reasoning: The mobile phone
analogy (as well as the meat analogy) begs the question, because
in both cases the product and the client are unambiguous, and it
is a straightforward quid pro quo: Would the client rather buy
steak or chicken? mobile phone or home phone? The choice is a
direct trade-off between (two) competing products. And I also
agree that if one of them were free, that would not change
anything: It would still be this versus that.

But that's not at all how it is with paid journals vs.
self-archived OA content.

Let's start with an easy example: Suppose we weren't talking
about anarchically self-archived articles, but about OA vs.
non-OA journals. And to make it even simpler, let us suppose (as
is the case with, for example, with BioMed Central journal
institutional "memberships"), that a library has a choice between
two journals that are equated, somehow, in terms of readership,
quality, subject-matter and usage-needs of institutional users,
that there is only enough money to afford one of them, and that
they differ in that one is subscription-based and the other is
based on institutional "membership" fees (for publishing
institutional articles).

That's an odd choice situation for an acquisitions librarian
(since in one case the librarian is buying in the journal's
content, and in the other the librarian is paying for the
institution's own outgoing content), but perhaps librarians would
intuit that they get better value for their institutional money
from the second journal (especially if they consult with their
institutional users, and they agree -- a detail not mentioned by
the survey, which seems to assume subscription/cancellation
decisions are all or mostly in the hands of the librarians!).

But that would be a prima-facie plausible prediction by
librarians, about what they would prefer and do under those
conditions. Even more plausible would be a least/most choice
involving *three* equivalent journals, when the library can
afford only two journals, and the third is an OA journal for
which someone else (other than the library) pays the
institutional OA charges, making it effectively "free" to the
library. Under those conditions the librarian could realistically
say they'd prefer to "cancel" the free (OA) journal (i.e., just
let users download it for themselves, free, from the web) so they
can use all available money saved for the other two journals.

(Of course, the tricky part is that a pure OA journal [e.g., BMC
or PLoS] is not one that a library subscribes to anyway!
(Actually, most OA journals *are* available for subscription, and
do not charge author-institutions for publication. Possibly, just
possibly, the results of the PRC survey might have some
predictive value as to whether *that* kind of OA journal is
likely to be cancelled; but so far there is little actual
evidence of that happening either, though it might! Keep your
eyes on the longevity of the majority of the OA journals in DOAJ
that do not change for publication but make ends meet from
subscriptions.)

But we have not yet come to third option, the one that the survey
was commissioned by PRC to test, and that is author
self-archiving, and whether that will cause cancellations.

It is for author self-archiving that the question of the extra
properties of percentage content, and length of embargo had to be
introduced and varied in this study. Length of embargo is not the
problem, but percentage content very much is, and so is the fact
that all self-archived content is free.  Here we are square in
the middle of the profound difference between OA journals (a
complete, quid-pro-quo product) and OA self-archiving (an
anarchic process, applying to only a portion of content, and an
unknown proportion at that, growing -- but again at an unknown
rate -- across time).

With journals (including OA journals), it's journal X vs journal
Y ("product" X vs. "product" Y): Shall I purchase X and cancel Y,
or vice versa? Shall I purchase X and Y and cancel Z? These are
presumably familiar, hence realistic acquisitions librarian
questions (in consultation with users -- who were not surveyed in
this survey!).

But what is the question with journals vs. anarchic self-archived
content? What is it that a librarian is contemplating buying
versus cancelling when what they are really faced with is a
choice between a journal and a distributed, anarchic and
uncertain percentage of its contents (with no indication of how
it is even knowable what that percentage is)?

But let's overlook that and agree that if it were a question of
buying vs. cancelling journal X based on some estimate of the
percentage of its contents that is available for free in
self-archived form, librarians could dream up a hypothetical
preference from a combination of properties such as journal
quality, journal price, percentage free content, and embargo
length.

But that would be journal X vs. not-X, or journal X vs. Y. What
is the librarian's conjecture as to their preference when *all*
journals have PP% of their content self-archived? That's not a
journal vs. journal acquisition/cancellation question any more:
It's asking librarians to second-guess the OA future: Are we to
infer from the conjoint preference data that they would cancel
*all* journals under those conditions (second-guessing their
users on how long they might, for example, continue to value the
paper edition?).

The analogy with chicken and steak would be whether conjoint
chicken/steak or mobile/home-phone property preferences predict
whether and when people would stop paying for food or phones
altogether because they were somehow miraculously available free
with a certain probability (and/or) delay) for a certain
percentage of the potential calls and time. We *know* that if it
were *all* free, immediately and with certainty, everyone would
prefer that. But do conjoint preferences tell us one bit more
than that? (And again we leave out the parties of the second part
-- the institutional users - as well as the paper edition and how
they might feel about it, and for how long...)

> That may be so, for now, but at the same time we are aware of
> organisations that are building products which combine the
> power of OAI-PMH (and the crawling power of Google); existing
> abstracting & indexing databases; publisher operated link
> servers; and library operated link servers: to build an
> organised route to OA materials - a route that would allow a
> non-subscriber of a journal article to be directed to the free
> OA repository version instead. Once these products exist we are
> sure our research indicates that *some* librarians at least
> will actually switch to OA versions for *some* of their
> information needs, while others will continue to purchase the
> journal product for a whole raft of reasons and others will
> provide, i.e. acquire, both options.

Let me quickly agree about what I would not have contested from
the very outset:

(1) Without the conjoint survey, I would already have agreed that
everyone prefers to have something for free rather than paying
for it.

(2) I also happen to believe, personally, that once 100% OA
self-archiving has been reached -- but I don't know how soon it
will be reached, nor how soon after it is reached this will
happen -- there will be cancellation pressure that will lead to
downsizing and a transition to OA publishing.

But it is still a fact that there is as yet no evidence of
cancellation pressure, and I do not at all see how the conjoint
preference study tells us any more than we already know (and
don't know) about whether and when and how much cancellation
pressure will ever be caused by self-archiving.

(I have to add that I profoundly doubt that in the OA world
libraries and librarians will mediate in any way between users
and the refereed journal article literature. Library mediation
will be as supererogatory as it is with what users do with google
today.)

> 3. The issue of bias:
>
> The whole Open Access debate evokes an emotional response from
> publishers, librarians and researchers on both sides of the
> debate. At the same time, so does the word "cancellation". For
> that matter, so does the phrase "serials crisis". We wanted to
> avoid using all of these phrases in the research so as not to
> cloud people's judgement in favour of their beliefs alone. This
> is one way of avoiding one type of bias. Specifically the type
> of bias we sought to eliminate was an emotional bias, not a
> bias for or against OA per se. It can be equally well argued
> that another survey should be done with these words actually
> mentioned. The results may well be different. But no more or
> less valid than ours - such a survey would be measuring a
> different thing. It is up to each individual reader of the
> report to decide which kind of response and hence survey they
> would prefer.

I think the attempt to avoid all of these emotional (and
notional) biases was a commendable one, and it would have been
successful too, if the conjoint-preference method had been
amenable to analysing the anarchic phenomenon of author
self-archiving and its likely effect on librarian
acquisition/cancellation. But it is not, because anarchic,
blanket self-archiving is simply not an acquisition/cancellation
matter.

Acquisition/cancellation concerns what to buy, retain and cancel
from among a finite set of products using a finite acquisitions
budget. It is a competitive matter: competition between products.
Anarchic self-archiving is gradual and uncertain, but it
generates only an all-or-none cancellation question, and one that
is in no way addressed by the conjoint preferences method.

(I am sure, by the way, that librarians could have been polled --
directly and unemotionally -- about how much journal content they
thought would have to be self-archived before they would no
longer need to purchase journals at all -- but I don't think
their speculations on that would have been very informative.)

I do think, though, that one indirect finding on this question
did emerge from the conjoint method (and it surprised me,
considering how strident some librarians have been in the
opposite direction in the past!): It does seem that librarians
are surprisingly indifferent to the difference between an
author's refereed final draft and the publisher's PDF. That's
very interesting (and it's progress: in librarian awareness and
understanding of what researchers really do and don't need!).

> 4. The statement of apparently obvious or banal findings:
>
> The critique states that some of the findings are obvious and
> banal. "The fact that everyone would like something for free
> rather than paying for it", for example. In fact the survey
> shows that not everyone would prefer that. Even in a completely
> like for like situation. Possibly because people are suspicious
> of free things.

Agreed. (But that's hardly very surprising either! Nor
informative about whether and when self-archiving causes
cancellations.)

> Much more important, however, is how the decision becomes
> qualified by other factors - *and to what extent* they are
> qualified. (Would you like free raw chicken for dinner or
> paid-for cooked chicken?) Look closely and the results show
> that the lure of "free" has only so much pulling power, and a
> combination of other factors pull more potently against it. So
> in themselves the importance of each of the attributes has
> limited value - it is in combination that their true meaning
> comes through.

I think what you are saying here is that in varying the
combination of 6 properties, each with 3-4 possible values, you
founded a complex preferential structure. But it still doesn't
tell us whether and when self-archiving will cause cancellations.

> 5. The validity of inferring cancellation behaviour from the
> findings:
>
> So, can we infer cancellation behaviour from the results? Yes,
> we can. Because it is unrealistic to expect that everyone that
> expresses a preference for acquiring a product that looks very
> much like content on OA repositories would still continue to
> acquire a paid-for version. Some will, of that we have very
> little doubt. But likewise some won't. To that end I think we
> *can infer cancellation will occur*. It may be after someone
> has provided an organisational layer on top of the
> repositories. It may be after improved librarian awareness of
> the alternative has occurred. And it may require way more than
> 15% of the material to be available on OA.

For those (like me) who happen to think that 100% OA
self-archiving is likely eventually to cause cancellations,
downsizing, and a transition to the OA cost-recovery, but that
there is as yet no evidence of this, and that it is a matter of
complete uncertainty how fast the self-archiving will grow, how
soon the cancellation pressure will be felt, and how strong the
cancellation pressure will be -- this study did not provide any
new information.

For those empiricists (for whom I have some sympathy too), who
simply say there is no evidence at all yet that self-archiving
causes cancellations -- and that even in the few fields where
self-archiving has been at or near 100% for some years there is
still no such evidence -- it is likewise true that this study has
not provided any new evidence: neither about *whether* there will
be cancellations, nor, if so, about when and how much.

Stevan Harnad