Important Message regarding merger of Wiley and Blackwell

Of possible interest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wiley InterScience <wiscience@wiley.com>
Date: Nov 20, 2006 4:55 PM
Subject: Important Message regarding merger of Wiley and Blackwell
To: Ann Okerson <ann.okerson@yale.edu>

Important Message to All Wiley InterScience Customers

Following the Friday, November 17th, announcement of the planned acquisition of Blackwell by Wiley and the merger of Blackwellwith Wiley's STM division, Blackwell and Wiley wish to assure their journal customers that this will have no effect on their 2007 orders. 2007 subscription prices will remain as announced and published in our respective price lists. Pricing for licensing online access to journals for 2007 is also unaffected. Wiley licenses will not include Blackwell journals and vice versa. All orders and inquiries should be sent to your usual contacts at each publisher.

------------------------------

Joint Letter from CEOs of Wiley and Blackwell

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to inform you of the planned merger of Blackwell Publishing (Holdings) Ltd. and the global Scientific, Technical, and Medical business of John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

The two companies have entered into a definitive agreement. Wiley will be acquiring the shareholdings of Blackwell Publishing. Blackwell Ltd., the book library service and retailing business, is a separate entity and is not part of the acquisition.

The publishing programs of Blackwell Publishing and Wiley, two of the world's most respected global publishers, are highly complementary. The new merged organization will publish approximately 1,250 scholarly peer-reviewed journals (over 1 million pages) and an extensive collection of books with global appeal across the entire range of sciences, technology, medicine and health, social sciences and humanities. We will be the world's pre-eminent society publisher, benefiting from close relationships with a broad range of academic and professional organizations.

There is great compatibility between our markets, missions and values. Blackwell has always emphasized the importance of integrity, stability and commitment to scholarship. The leadership of Wiley, including the Wileyfamily, share these values. Blackwell and Wiley have similar cultures, which is a primary reason for the merger. Both companies place high value on collaborative relationships based on a solid foundation of trust and integrity. Together, we will deliver even greater value than we could as separate entities to our customers, authors, society and other publishing partners.

Please do not hesitate to call your usual contact if you have any immediate questions. We will be in regular communication with you about any future changes. Enclosed is a copy of the press release announcing the planned transaction <http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=2073174&m=5732&u=69944>.

Sincerely,

William J. Pesce
President & Chief Executive Officer
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.