Re: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled Subscriptions

While I have no doubt that this study was well done and holds up methodologically, I do wonder about its experimental validity. Do librarian preferences for cancellation translate into actual cancellations?

If the PRC results were predictive of actual behavior, one would expect that subscription-based journals that provided delayed free content [1] would see massive library cancellations. Are these publishers, some of whom provide free access after as little as 2-months committing subscription hari-kari? Seems not.

--Phil Davis

[1] see hundreds of journals publishing with HighWire Press
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

.

Philip M. Davis
PhD Student (and former Science Librarian)
Department of Communication
336 Kennedy Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853