The Patchwork Mandate

**Apologies for cross-posting**

Over the last few months this list has been inundated by people
looking for policies to adopt for their institutional
repositories, and frustrated by their management's inability to
see that a mandate is required. I haven't been very helpful to
the enquirers, because all of the encouragement type policies are
known to be quite inadequate. However, I have done some thinking
and have now put together a short paper (4 pages) on an option
for repository managers wanting to fill their repositories under
unhelpful conditions - The Patchwork Mandate.

I encourage you to download the working paper from
http://eprints.utas.edu.au/410/, as it has nice typesetting and
readability [and hyperlinks] in a pdf file. You can even show it
to your senior managers.

Arthur Sale
Professor of Computing (Research)
University of Tasmania