From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Watkinson
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 11:33 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: FTE-based pricing

I would like to complement what Mary has written. It does seem to
me that usage-based charging is in principle fair but I cannot
see that it will work because the volatility of demand makes this
approach unworkable for either publishers or librarians who have
to budget - and do not all of us have to do that? The work at
CIBER (www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk) has exposed surprising levels of
volatility of use institution by year (a surprise to me at any
rate). I do not think we have published this because it was a
side-observation that we have not been able to follow up but to
me it is rather significant and important in this debate.

Anthony Watkinson