RE: Frankfurt Group show VAT greatest obstacle to

electronic information
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:36:07 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Depends if the author is VAT registered or not, as royalties are
subject to VAT I believe. If the author is VAT registered then he
will have to account for the VAT, ie issues the publisher with a
VAT invoice at the appropriate rate, if not he won't. Individuals
very rarely register for VAT but most organisations are
registered.

If the author is outside the EU, VAT is not payable as far as I
am aware. But as you probably know VAT is like a cluster bomb in
a wood - no telling when you will tread on the problem and only
the VATman can give you a ruling. As you are based in the US, you
should not have a problem I hope.

Best wishes

Rollo