Re: Paragraph-Based Quotation in Place of PDF/Page-Based

An interesting observation.

So scientific literature is now adopting the system of Stephen
Langton, 11th century Archbishop of Canterbury, who first placed
chapter divisions in the Latin Vulgate to facilitate Biblical
citation.

As you know, the breaking of text into chapter, paragraph, or
verse is not without controversy. The present New Testament
verses were introduced by Robert Stephens in his Greco-Latin
Testament of 1551. His verses were criticized because they broke
the text into fragments, the division often coming in the middle
of the sentence, rather than at the end of a logical paragraph.
Nonetheless, his system persists.

Thus I suppose in scientific citation we might get to the level
of the phrase, as in the 6th chapter of the Gospel of Matthew:
"(44) But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who
persecute you, (45) that you may be sons of your Father in
heaven." We might even approach citing one or two words, as in
"Jesus wept" (JN 11:35).

Perhaps the Archbishop of Canterbury will be kind enough to
divide the gospel of the Journal of Biological Chemistry for us.
He would have the requisite training.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services