Press Release: MMU launches open access repository

We hope this will be of interest to the list. With apologies for
cross-posting

Grace Baynes
BioMed Central

==================================

PRESSS RELEASE: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY LAUNCHES OPEN ACCESS
REPOSITORY USING OPEN REPOSITORY SERVICE FROM BIOMED CENTRAL

BioMed Central's Open Repository service has built e-space,
Manchester Metropolitan University's institutional open access
repository, it was announced today. The repository is freely
available at www.e-space.mmu.ac.uk. BioMed Central's Open
Repository service builds on the open-source DSpace technology
platform, enhancing it with value-added features unique to Open
Repository.

Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) is the fourth most
popular university in the UK, according to the Universities and
Colleges Admissions Service. MMU's institutional repository will
allow its 39,000 staff and students working at ten research
institutes on seven campuses, to deposit research findings and to
share them effectively between themselves, and with their
international colleagues. MMU will maintain complete
administrative control over the repository whilst BioMed Central
will provide hosting services, customization, backups and
technical support.

Jayne Burgess, e-space Project Manager, explains why MMU chose
BioMed Central's Open Repository service,

"We had been watching developments in UK Institutional
repositories and decided the time was right for us to set up a
repository for MMU. We saw this as a natural extension of the
library role both in managing information and supporting and
acknowledging the importance of research at MMU. We knew that a
good deal of staff time would be required for advocacy and
content acquisition and wanted a solution that would leave core
staff time for these tasks and, with limited technical resource
available to the library at this time, we considered Open
Repository to be the most suitable option. BioMed Central
provides a complete service with Open Repository, which means
that whilst e-space is hosted, maintained and developed by BioMed
Central, we retain administrative control over it. We have worked
closely with BioMed Central to customise the website and to map
the communities and collections to the structure of the
University. The technical support from BioMed Central has been
excellent and we would like to continue to work closely with them
to make suggestions for additional and added-value service
developments based on researchers' requirements."

Natasha Robshaw, Director of Marketing and Sales, BioMed Central
commented,

"We are delighted to welcome MMU as a customer for our Open
Repository service. Our expert in-house team provides a complete
service, making Open Repository a very convenient way for the
customer to establish and run an institutional archive. The
service has been designed to be both flexible and cost-effective.
Open Repository also includes tools that make it very easy for
researchers to deposit their articles and other documents. We
believe this is an invaluable service, and look forward to many
other organisations coming on board in the next few months."

Value-added features of the Open Repository in addition to the
standard DSpace functionality can include saved searches, a
submission form using PubMed ID and external linking to Entrez
databases. BioMed Central can also offer Open Repositories in
different (Roman alphabet) languages, customisable submission
forms. The service is now W3 web accessibility compliant AA.

Open Repository offers a Pilot Repository set up scheme, allowing
customers to have working demo sites personalised to their needs
for a 3-month, no obligation, free trial.

ENDS

Press contacts:

Grace Baynes for BioMed Central: press@biomedcentral.com or +44
(0) 20 7631 9988

Jayne Burgess for MMU: Jayne.Burgess@mmu.ac.uk or +44 (0) 161 247
6109

For more information about the Open Repository service, or to
discuss setting up a Pilot Repository, please email
info@openrepository.com

About Open Repository

Open Repository (www.openrepository.com) is a service provided by
BioMed Central for institutions and research organisations. Open
Repository offers professional help to institutions to quickly
and easily build, launch, maintain, and populate their own
repositories. The service has been designed to be flexible and
cost-effective. BioMed Central's economy of scale makes it
possible for institutions that could not otherwise afford to, or
lack the infrastructure or technical capacity in-house, to set up
repositories.

About Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)

Manchester Metropolitan University (www.mmu.ac.uk) is a
forward-looking university. It is proud of the exceptional
breadth of choice it has to offer students and of its links with
business, industry, the professions and the local communities
that all contribute to the learning experience. The University
has a varied population, attracting students from a broad range
of backgrounds and countries, which contributes to its lively and
dynamic atmosphere. The University is based across seven
campuses, five in the Manchester area and two at Alsager and
Crewe's MMU Cheshire. The central Manchester campuses form part
of the largest higher education campus in the UK and one of the
most extensive education centres in Europe.

Grace Baynes
Marketing Communications Manager
BioMed Central
Middlesex House