Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:25 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: FTE-based pricing

Isn't this just a matter of time and familiarity?  Despite the
scorn which has been poured on my use of the utilities analogy,
I'm sure everyone manages to budget fairly well for electricity
and phone costs - usage doesn't in fact increase dramatically
year on year.  I would anticipate that it would be the same with
online resources.  Yes, we all hope that usage would increase as
users became more familiar with the resources at their disposal
(and libraries and publishers promoted them better).  But this
couldn't, realistically, go on increasing dramatically year on
year - users simply don't have more reading time at their
disposal.  So I'd expect levels of usage to level off after a
while

This might mean, however, that it's too soon to know how to price
a usage-based model - the more prudent approach might be to
introduce a (fairly small) usage element into existing models and
start working out what 'price-per-use' might produce the desired
effect (i.e. staying in business!)

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Email: sally.morris@alpsp.org
Website:  www.alpsp.org