Re: Column on licenses

In this context, Lotka's law, is the one also referred to as is
Zipf's Law, or Bradford's law, or many other names, (it has been
rediscovered a number of times):

The simplest formulation, is the well-known formula that 20% of
the books will get 80% of the use, and that if you consider only
that 20%, it still holds within that group. It holds good for
science journals, and probably journals is similar fields.
There's a very small top class that gets most of the use. It
similarly holds good for authors.

The most accessible discussion is the Wikipedia article for
Bradford's law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford%27s_law

Lotka was primarily a statistician. his work in pupulation
biology led to another law, also called by his name, the
Lotka-Volterra equation, for the cyclic character of
predator-prey populations: when the lynx eat up almost all the
hares, most of them die of hunger. The hares now increase in
numbers until the remaining lynx start to find them, etc.  (If
the lynx eat too fast, there aren't enough left to reproduce, and
both population die.)
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotka-Volterra_equation

I do not know of any direct application of this to information
science. It may sound like it applies to publishers and research
libraries, but if the publishers kill almost all the libraries,
and die because of lack of customers, neither will recover. Hare
and lynx are self-regenerating, but neither publishers nor
libraries are able to reproduce.

(There's a second equation of his in population biology also--see
the refs)

Forgive me for drastically oversimplifying, but Bensman explains
this better than I can. see his introductory paper at
www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/bensman/urquhartlaw1.pdf . and his
other papers: www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/bensman/bensman.html

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu