From: "Wright, Jen" <WrightJ@library.phila.gov>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:21 AM
Subject: RE: FTE-based pricing

The problem I see with that is budgeting. We really need to stick within a budget and a purely usage based model wouldn't allow us to plan very accurately. It would be nice to pay less for the items that we have very little usage on, though. We rarely use Dissertation Abstracts as a public library, so why should we pay as much as an academic library of a similar size?

I'm just not sure how vendors could accurately anticipate usage. If our usage goes up dramatically, as we hope to promote all our resources, then the resource could then be too expensive for next year's budget.

Jennifer R Wright
Electronic/Digital Resources Coordinator
Free Library of Philadelphia
www.library.phila.gov