Re: Column on licenses

Toby:

I admire the energy and creativity you have put into your program, but none of it is going to stop publishers and authors from sueing Google or anybody else who scans in-copyright works.

Here is a scenario. You are the publisher of Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. You sell one copy to Ohio State for $25. The book is scanned and put on a server, for viewing by any member of the Ohio State community. I haven't checked the numbers; how many people is that? 75,000? 100,000? Why do I smell a lawsuit in the works?

Another scenario: you publish a scholarly monograph with an initial printing of 800 copies. A library purchases it, scans it, and makes it available to members of its community? A lawsuit? Dumb idea, but on the other hand, there is the issue of setting a precedent.

Third scenario: you publish a narrative history (say, a biography of Andrew Mellon, which I just saw today in a bookstore) for $35. You print 20,000 copies. When a library purchases it, the library has the option of getting extended rights. For $200 the library's community gets ereserve, ILL, and digital coursepack rights. For $1,000 the library gets LAN rights for its entire community. These licenses are totally automated: go to a Web site, enter your institution's name (or Hazel Henderson's or Atypon's DOI), choose the license you want, wait for the service to verify with WorldCat that you purchased a copy of the hardcopy, and have your institution's PayPal account debited. I have no idea what the right prices are, and I know for a fact that some publishers will try everything possible to wring every possible dollar out of this; but over time conventions for pricing will arise.

Setting up a service like this will take a great deal of time and reflection, and the best service will not please everybody. We can point out everything that is wrong with clearly articulated licenses and an attempt to come to fair pricing, or we can look for practical ways to get publishers and libraries on the, er, same page.

Joe Esposito