Re: FTE-based pricing and usage-based pricing

Surely by now it should be obvious that there is no good pricing
model. I have yet to see one that was not unfair to some group of
libraries. There is a possibility that a system could be devised
that offers a choice of models to the library--and in fact one
has the option from some providers, such a OCLC, to purchase some
databases either at a flat rate or by the search;  even then, the
relative pricing of the two access routes will be contentious.

Fortunately, this is problem only for databases and other
secondary services. As all readers of this list must know, there
is a universally fair pricing model for journals, that of open
access journals. More precisely, it is fair to universities,
although not necessarily to their libraries, for it apportions
charges according to the amount of research funds available. Just
as the cost for research staff depends directly on the research
funding, just as the cost of research supplies depends on the
research funding, so will the cost of publishing the results.

Just as no university wishes to overpay for research supplies,
they will not want to overpay for research publication costs. The
expense of research supplies is determined by a free market, and
so will be the expense for research publishing.

Sally's examples are just plain wrong. I have never known an
institution that does not bargain aggressively for telephone
service.The cost of such service has gone down dramatically, as
new and more efficient technology has entered the market-- to a
considerable extent, from other than the traditional providers. I
have never known an organization of any sort that does not
strenuously promote the efficient use of heating and lighting;
most universities find it worthwhile to pay technical staff to
optimize their facilities. Not just large institutions but
individual households try to deal with the cost of utilities
efficiently, so the concept should not be unfamiliar.

I've said this before. Sally has not yet learned it, just as the
publishers in general have not yet learned it. At least they are
beginning to experiment. It is a good thing they do: if they do
not provide a cost-efficient service, they, just as other
outmoded communications services, will be replaced by more
efficient alternatives.

It is in this light that we look on Sally's quoted costs for peer
review.  If her figures are right, it is the most expensive part
of journal publishing, because the per-article OA charges of even
expensive commercial publishers is less than double her figures.
It can be done for less: the per -article cost of publishing
Physical Review is less than $1500 -- the exact amount depends
upon whom you ask--and the price of Physical Review to libraries
declines a little most years (the absolute price, not even
adjusted for inflation). The quality of their peer review does
not seem to suffer.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian