From: "Joseph J. Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: Column on licenses

Some clarifications and comments.

No publisher I know of, including OECD, Springer, or Elsevier, has the kind of license I envisioned. Our (Shatzkin's and my) proposal was not for ebooks, which are likely always to be sold with licenses (more below), but as an option for someone who purchased hardcopy. I hasten to add that we are NOT saying that hardcopy should be licensed. We are proposing that anyone who purchases a hardcopy automatically gets an OPTION for an electronic license, whose terms would be set by the publisher. We also propose that those terms be progressive, but not every publisher will agree to this. If such licenses were in place, there would be no lawsuits against Google, provided that the terms of the licenses covered sufficient territory.

It should be noted that not all, indeed few, publishers have the luxury of OECD in walking away from their hardcopy businesses. Books for the research community are the exception; the rule can be found in Borders and Barnes & Noble. The riches--in hardcopy--of the modern American bookstore, not to mention what can be found at Amazon and its online competitors, are by my estimate about 8 times greater than what was available 20 years ago (from an average of 12,000 titles in a retail store to 100,000). There is little demand for making these titles available electronically, though I for one believe that that is just about to change.

As for the horror of licenses, I suppose we all have to choose our monsters. I would prefer a multiplicity of licenses to one lawsuit. In the absence of licenses, we have litigation. And this promises to get uglier. Google, for instance, has subpoenaed Microsoft, Yahoo, and Amazon as part of its defense against the publishers' (and the Authors Guild's) lawsuits. Why? Will the publishers turn around and sue the University of Wisconsin? Where does it end? There may be some members of this list who do not know what it means to be dragged through civil litigation--the waste, the falsehoods, the routine abuse of the people who get swept into it.

Joe Esposito