RE: Column on licenses

Joe,

Thanks for the clarifications. I missed the bit about hardcopy.
In fact we already offer e-books to anyone who purchases hardcopy
via our online bookshop (and we allow our distributors to make
the same offer too). We don't charge any more for this service:
simply put, the hardcopy purchasers can download the e-book
whenever they want and as often as they want from their account.
For some of our titles we also print Internet links in the
hardcopy to data files and other background information that
supplements the work. We don't impose any license on the
purchaser to access these e-resources (beyond the usual copyright
statements) and I think it would be impracticable to do so unless
we used the same sort of method as used by software providers,
i.e. some sort of "I agree" box at the foot of a huge legal
document that no-one ever reads which you have to click before
you can open the software. Does it stop users pirating software?
Or sharing it with their friends? Does it stop large software
vendors from being dragged through long legal battles? I also
have another practical problem - we sell our books to clients in
nearly every jurisdiction around the world - how could I possibly
(a) draw up a legal agreement that would work everywhere since I
can't afford a legal team the size of Microsoft's and (b) how
could I possibly enforce them if I did? Surely the scale of this
questioning of the limits to copyright is such that it has to be
handled systemically by legislators rather than litigators?

I agree that our business model is less likely to work for books
other than research monographs, conference proceedings and the
like. But I would like to correct the impression that we're
walking away from our hardcopy business - we're not, because we
never had a "hardcopy business". This may sound pedantic, but
it's a point worth making. Our business is the same - providing
information in an effective manner. So far I haven't come across
very many clients who express the need for licenses as part of
our service, and I'd hate for this to change because our
administrative costs would grow and we'd have to pass this onto
our customers.

Toby Green
Head of Dissemination and Marketing
OECD Publishing
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
http://www.oecd.org/Bookshop
http://www.SourceOECD.org  - our award-winning e-library
http://www.oecd.org/OECDdirect  - our new title alerting service