Additional detail on MIT and Hoovers

The Liblicense list has picked up the MIT Libraries' blog story
about Hoovers, so I thought I would offer a little more detail
about the language we could not agree to:

We have been subscribers to Hoover's Pro Premium Online, a
database of company information.  Their terms now require
licensees to take financial responsibility for fraudulent use -
even suspected fraudulent use -- by individual users.  We were
not willing to agree to the terms, and found ourselves with
access suddenly unavailable to our patrons.

This new requirement may be going unnoticed because of Hoovers
renewal process, in which an email asks for initials and a
binding "I agree" click to terms that are linked from the renewal
email at:

http://www.hoovers.com/global/corp/index.xhtml?pageid=10545

The language we took exception to here at MIT is [emphasis
added]:

"Hoover's, Inc., reserves the right to monitor your use of the
Service to ensure compliance with this Agreement and prevent
fraudulent use. You acknowledge that such monitoring of use may
include determining whether or not the Service is accessed under
the account from multiple IP addresses, as well as noting
excessive downloads or a disproportionate number of users.
Systematic access or extraction of content from the Service,
including, but not limited to, the use of "bots" or "spiders," is
prohibited. If such monitoring indicates you are not in
compliance with this Agreement or if fraudulent activity is
suspected, Hoover's, Inc. reserves the right to take such action
as it deems necessary, including, but not limited to, assessing
additional charges for users or downloaded records in excess of
the number authorized, or suspension or termination of the
account."

[By the way: the number of records authorized for download is not
disclosed in the contract.]

I would be interested in any comments or relevant experiences
with this kind of language either from Hoovers or other
companies.

Ellen Duranceau
Scholarly Publishing and Licensing Consultant
MIT Libraries