RE: Column on licenses

Joe,

Thanks for alerting us to your piece in Publishers' Weekly. You
say that you know of no publisher with a clear policy on how
libraries can use e-books. I find this a challenging statement
because I would be surprised if Springer and Elsevier did't have
one. However, I do know this - we have one. We post some Terms
and Conditions for using our e-library on our website (you can
find the link at the bottom of every page.) We issued this in
2004 and so far, we're finding no problems at all with it and
neither do our growing number of customers.

I agree with Kevin Smith about the horror that would entail if
every publisher issued a formal license with their books. This is
why we do our utmost NOT to sign licenses with our customers,
relying instead on our Terms and Conditions, trust and existing
copyright laws to prevent widespread abuse (we realise that some
level of abuse will occur whatever we do!). Some customers,
usually, I have to say, in the US, insist on having a license. We
think this is an administratively expensive way to work together.
After all, we never signed licenses when we sold printed books to
librarians - so what's different now? Sure, it's easier and
cheaper for someone to do illegal copying of copyright material
from an e-book - but signing a license won't change that!

Your conclusion, as ever, is spot-on. Many book publishers do
need to get beyond worrying about their print business and start
experimenting with new marketing channels (but don't always
expect miracles, all our books are on Google's Books service and
we're getting great visibility but precious few sales so far). We
stopped worrying about our print business in 1998 and haven't
looked back - two-thirds of our books revenues this year will
come from 'e'. (Traditionalists reading this might be comforted
to know that every book we publish is also available in print as
well.) If anyone wants to know how we did this, I'll be telling
our story at an ALPSP seminar on November 6th in London, UK, and
at an SSP seminar on November 14th in Washington, DC - maybe
you'd like to come along yourself?

Toby Green
Head of Dissemination and Marketing
OECD Publishing