Re: FTE-based pricing

Dear Sally,

Back when that was the only access mode, and typical searches
came to $5 on medline & $20 on most others (multiply by about 5
to convert to 2006) libraries, at least in the US did charge back
(even well-funded libraries) and it was very much resented. For
undergraduates, they were usually asked to pay personally, and
many did not do searches because of the cost. A wealthy
department sometimes allotted $500 or so for undergraduate
searches each year, so they could do one each. A wealthy library
usually allotted a little money for searches in a reference
context. For expensive databases like CAS and SCI this was a
serious problem.

The bio librarian previous to me worked out a method where for
bio abstraacts searches she printed out only the abstract number,
which greatly reduced the cost.

So this was what we wanted to get away from.

OCLC's FirstSearch still offers this model, in blocks of 500
search statements. (not including the expensive databases)
<http://www.oclc.org/firstsearch/ordering/persearch/> and
<http://www.oclc.org/firstsearch/content/databases/databaselist.htm>
Pricing depends on consortia etc but seem to be about $1 per
search statement. They call the pricing per search, and if it
were, in the usual sense, the pricing would be very good indeed,
but it is per search statement and still reasonable.

I obtained the pricing data from
<http://www.nlc.state.ne.us/netserv/Pricing/index.html>. Of
course, OCLC has immense bargaining power. So does JISC, so you
can compare prices. I can't, because JISC pricing is
confidential.

Small colleges use this in many situations, but it generally
means a member of the staff has to be present, for fear the
patron will waste money. Anything involving staff mediation
reduces use. Even when the users had to come to come to the
library in person anyway because there was only print, staff
mediation still reduced use.

------------------------

Electricity cost in NYC is about $0.20 a kilowatt hour
residential (reading by a 100 watt bulb for 10 hours). Most
people I know do watch their electricity use, especially for air
conditioning and other expensive uses. Most universities do make
a point of being efficient about it as well, using a considerable
number of highly skilled staff to maintain the system's
efficiency.

Very few universities let students make free long distance calls.
(obsolete, of course, since cell phones at a nationwide rate, and
now especially VOIP)

Thanks for suggesting the analogies.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu