Re: Report Suggests U.K. Consider Regulating Licensed Content

I was present at the launch of this report. The British Academy's
approach was to ask fellows what problems they had encountered
using copyrighted content in their own work (I simplify but this
was the gist of it). They did consult a group concerned with
intellectual property issues. They did not however consult any
publishers or any librarians.

It looks as if the sort of problems distinguished academic
authors have in getting permissions are entirely or almost
entirely with the music industry and picture libraries - see the
examples in the text. The links between this sort of evidence and
the recommendations is not (to my mind) at all clear and the
chairman of the group preparing this report admitted that there
is a lot of work to be done before any systematic view is
reached. In particular I was puzzled about the concerns over
digital rights management, an enemy which is often invoked. I do
not know of any publisher of scholarly books or primary scholarly
journals which implements digital rights management. Does anyone
on this list know of instances? I imagine such implementation
would cost quite a bit

Anthony Watkinson