RE: FTE-based pricing

I would really like to find a forum for a back-to-basics discussion about pricing models for e-resources and the justifications for or arguments against them. I entered the discussion in the mid-90s after the basic terms had already been established. I don't know what the original arguments were. How did we even get to usage-based pricing? What industry built that model and how did we buy into it for information? Does it still hold up? What about the inherent value of the content independent of usage? And what about pricing models based upon "maintaining print spend?" How does that make sense for the consumer? And what should we be advocating as the 'best' model for all involved, not just library/consumers and not just vendor/publishers.

I feel like it's time to revisit all of these models and at least reassure ourselves that they still hold water. If anyone else would be interested in a dialogue, or has some background or insight they'd like to share, please respond to me directly and I'll see if there is enough interest to plan a webinar or something.

Cheers,
Tracy