Re: Quality and mandated open access

At this risk of sounding like that rascal Mr. Rumsfeld, my
goodness! I had no intention to threaten or frighten anyone (as
though I could--even my dog disobeys me!) It is not my purpose to
turn anyone from OA, but merely to think through its execution.

Publishers do indeed provide peer review services, which benefit
authors, readers, and the entire scientific community. When I was
a society publisher, we rejected 75 to 80% of papers, but
subjected most to outside peer review, with no return to us
despite a cost of greater than $2000 per paper, not including
editorial staff or overhead. We were able to do this because
there was some return in subscription income.

My question was to ask how peer review, which OA advocates
profess to revere, could be sustained if the offsetting
subscription income were removed because of mandated OA. If you
are truly serious about OA, you must come to terms with the fact
that it little no sense for publishers to conduct peer review as
we know it when the products it produces are pirated away. In the
face of mandated OA, publishers should move toward a new business
that has a positive ROI. This will probably involve providing
context, rather than content. That is, under mandated OA, the
business of publishing will no longer be creating quality
content, but aggregating it and filtering it from what is freely
available on the Web. It is separating the small amount of wheat
from the great quantity of chaff.

I really don't think this is such a radical idea, and certainly
should not be affront to OA. In fact, it is the logical extension
of Dr. Harnad's thinking.

As for the idea that for-profit publishers are just fine and
dandy with the direction things are going....well, you must be
reading a different Elsevier report than I am.

I quote, " ... we are very concerned that many significant
recommendations are based on mischaracterisations of STM
publishing industry dynamics that follow from limited, flawed
analyses and unsupported theoretical speculation. ..."

Do these really sound like happy people to you? To me, they have
the tone of a family barricaded in their straw hut as hungry
wolves claw at the door, hoping that if they toss out a bone of
Wellcome compliance, the threat will disappear.

This is accommodation? Well, goodness, I think not.

Cheers.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
pbanks@bankspub.com