Re: October issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

Peter's long discourse on the quality of OA and TA journals leads
to conclusions with which few could disagree: OA journals can be
high quality and TA journals can be low-quality. Whether one
model or the other tends to lead to higher quality is best
answered with actual data over the coming years, not by further
duelling list serve posts and email.

For now, however, one can probe further how quality would be
sustained in an OA model, because much of what has been written
is I think based on a false premise: that, in the face of
mandated OA, nonprofit and for-profit publishers would continue
the work of traditional peer review, the products of which must
then be then made freely available.

In short: Ain't going to happen. No rational organization is
going to invest the hundreds of thousands of dollars per year
needed to operate, sustain, and upgrade traditional peer review
systems for a major journal, when sales of the products that
sustain those operations are undermined by free distribution.

Thus OA must realistically entail new mechanisms of peer
review--perhaps the open, democratic peer review system that PLoS
has launched with PLoS One. It may work. After all, the Wikipedia
may not be quite as authoritative as the Encyclopedia Britannica,
but it is already more complete, more rapidly updated, and, one
might argue, far more broadly and savagely reviewed. Moreover,
open peer review might foster the kind of social and intellectual
networking that traditional publishing does not tend to create.

If PLoS One's model does prove the wave of the peer review
future, though, it raises issues that must be addressed, just a
few of which are:

--Versioning. A manuscript becomes less like an inanimate object,
frozen in time, than a living organism, constantly being modified
by the author in response to criticism. There should be some way
of tracking the evolution of the author's ideas.

--Determining the canonical version. One of the traditional
functions of publishing is determining and certifying the
canonical version of a manuscript. Will there be such a function
in the future, and, if so, who will be responsible for it? Will
scientific authors adopt the model of Whitman's Leaves of Grass,
revising manuscripts from cradle to grave? Will we sing the body
of literature electric?

--Synchronizing versions. The paper may exist in many places, in
PMC, in institutional repositories, at the publisher's site. Is
there, or should there be, some mechanism of synchronizing these
versions with what the author considers to be the up-to-date
version?

--Liability and safety. Should papers in clinical medicine be
made freely available, as PLoS seems poised to do? Patients do
crazy things even with reviewed literature. Is there liability if
someone is injured by inappropriately modifying treatment or
self-care on the basis of an unreviewed article? Of course, one
could make the argument that patients themselves are in the best
position to offer real-world feedback on the safety and efficacy
of drugs, since they themselves take them.

All of these questions are solvable...and maybe PLoS has, or
will, address them, if not now, then in time. The challenges are
great, and will require the insights of librarians, publishers,
authors, and others. The soaring promises of OA do have some
down-to-Earth consequences.

Whatever the solutions, it seems clear that the promised
cost-savings of OA are rather quickly gnawed away at when one
begins to attack problems such as those above.

Peter Banks
pbanks@bankspub.com
www.bankspub.com