Re: Confidentiality clause is back in at Nature

Joe, There is plenty of scope for competition to restrain prices,
even in a fully open system.

If a publisher prices too high, subscriptions would drop. A
rational publisher would year by year increase prices until
subscriptions began to drop, and then stop, knowing that
subscriptions, once cancelled, do not often come back.

For this market-driven approach to work, the publisher must still
be in the price range where demand is elastic. If they price so
high that everyone has already dropped except a core hundred
libraries or so that will continue regardless, different factors
come into play:

a/ even the core reconsidering whether it wants to stay in the
core for a particular subject, with former core libraries
accepting per-article access.

b/ the prices being so high that there is a resistance to new
titles from the same publisher.

c/ the prices overall being so high that libraries look to
alternative means of publication

Any of those sound familiar?

If there is not price transparency, a rational librarian would be
all the more ready to consider them, to reduce uncertainty.

Any of these sound familiar with respect to NPG?

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu