Nature confidentiality update/call for responses (apologies -- it's crossposted, and a bit long)

For any who are interested:

I've heard from a member of Nature's management, who informs me
that my sales rep was mistaken when he told me that the pricing
confidentiality language would be removed from the negotiated
version of our license. She reiterated that "there is no more
movement on our lawyers' part."  I again pointed out that Nature
employs its lawyers, not the other way around, and suggested that
Nature needs to decide for itself whether confidentiality
provisions are worth the trouble, and then either defend that
decision to its customers or tell its lawyers to get rid of the
confidentiality language in the license.  I offered again to
speak to any member of the legal staff who might be willing to
talk with me.

She responded that really, confidentiality is needed for business
reasons.  She feels that to give in to one library's demands and
allow it to inform others of that concession would cause the
entire community to demand the same concessions, and since not
all libraries can be given the same terms, this would lead to an
unworkable situation.  I told her that publishers conduct
individual negotiations all the time without demanding secrecy,
and that approach doesn't seem to be driving any of them out of
business; I also suggested that all librarians understand that
every library can't have the exact same terms.  We don't ask that
we all get the same terms, but insist only that we be allowed to
negotiate terms based on our own situations, and not be required
to keep the results of those negotiations secret from our
colleagues and from the public whose money we're spending.

Now, here's the reason I'm imposing this message on the list: she
also mentioned that every time she has explained Nature's
confidentiality provision to a librarian, the librarian has
"understood and supported the reasoning behind it."  It seems to
me that those of us who object to the confidentiality provisions
need to make that fact better known to Nature.  (And, of course,
those of us who do support Nature's stance should feel free to
say so as well.)  Without harrassing or bombarding anyone, I
think this might be a good time to let your sales rep know if you
feel that Nature's confidentiality provisions are unacceptable,
and to ask him or her to pass that information along to upper
management.

One more note: Nature _has_ offered to add "subject to local law"
language at the beginning of the confidentiality clause.  My
problem with that solution is that I'm not deeply familiar enough
with state law in Nevada to know whether there are loopholes that
might allow us to keep some license and pricing terms
confidential, and I'm not willing to put my library in a
situation that would force staff to conduct a search in the
Nevada Revised Statute whenever someone asks a question about the
results of our negotiations with Nature, just to see whether or
not we can answer the question.

OK, I'm done for now.  Thanks for your collective patience; I
hope these messages have been more useful than annoying.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries